Monday, July 9, 2007

Dan Patrick leaves ESPN

It's truly a sad day. ESPN without Dan Patrick just won't feel the same.




"ESPN announced today that longtime radio and television anchor Dan Patrick will be leaving the network in August. Patrick’s final radio broadcast will be on Friday, Aug. 17. The mutual agreement will allow Patrick to pursue new interests outside of ESPN, and will bring to an end his involvement with ESPN’s radio, television and magazine outlets.

The week of Patrick’s final show, ESPN Radio will look back at memorable moments from the show, in addition to featuring special guest appearances and interviews.


“I’ve spent a third of my life at ESPN," Patrick said in a statement. "All my children were born while I was employed here. I feel privileged to have had this opportunity and I have extremely mixed emotions about leaving. With that said, I told ESPN that I believe it’s time for me to try something different, something that will also be challenging and rewarding. While I’m not sure what that will be, I am grateful to ESPN for its willingness to allow me to pursue new endeavors.”

Patrick has hosted ESPN Radio’s Dan Patrick Show since 1999. He also recently served as host of the NBA studio program on ABC, "NBA Countdown," and the network’s game broadcasts, including the NBA Finals. He was a "SportsCenter" anchor from 1989-2006, and has written "Outtakes" for ESPN The Magazine.

Patrick was named National Sportscaster of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association (NSSA) in 2000, and received a Sports Emmy Award in the Studio Host category in 1998. Prior to ESPN, Patrick, a graduate of the University of Dayton, was a sports anchor/reporter for CNN (1983-89)."

digg story


Story from Free Press

2 comments:

Scott Fuller said...

That is a shame, he was one of the best.

COED Magazine Poll said...

ESPN Spreads Lies!! Patrick was fired!
we broke the story 3 days ago.... http://digg.com/baseball/ESPN_Fires_Dan_Patrick